Feds warn of home carbon monoxide detectors that may fail to alarm


Consumers should immediately stop using HECOPRO digital display carbon monoxide (CO) detectors because they can fail to warn about the presence of the dangerous gas, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said.

The CPSC issued the warning Thursday after detectors sold on Amazon.com failed tests with a CO concentration of 400 ppm, in violation of safety standards. At sustained levels above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, loss of consciousness, and death are possible, according to the CPSC.

The detectors in the warning were sold on Amazon.com under ASIN, B07T66J7KJ for between $9 and $13. They are made of white plastic and measure approximately 4.1 by 1.8 by 4.1 inches. They have a digital display. Advertising for the detectors claims they detect dangerous levels of carbon monoxide and alert with a flashing red LED and a loud alarm.

The CPSC said consumers should not purchase or sell these detectors. Existing detectors should be thrown away and new, working ones installed.

Accidental carbon monoxide poisoning associated with consumer products claims more than 150 lives in the United States each year.

Consumer watchdog sues Amazon to push recall of ‘potentially hazardous’ products

More information:
More Information

Copyright © 2022 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Feds warn of home carbon monoxide detectors that may fail to alarm (2022, September 23)
retrieved 25 September 2022
from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-09-feds-home-carbon-monoxide-detectors.html

This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.